The Fashion Chronicles. And other things that make me smile.
I’ve always had the opinion that closets are something personal and I always tell my clients to treat it like a sacred place. I have received about a dozen emails over the past few weeks about closet storage and organization ideas. Because I respect the privacy of my clients, I decided to show you how I organize some of my own things. My closet is in NO way as big as I would like it to be, however, I found some creative ways to make it personal. Here are some things that I chose to do. Hopefully it will give you some ideas.
1) Accessories. I am an accessory queen. I decided to display the accessories that I wear the most in my closet. Some are stored on top of a bookshelf and other on the wall. When I am in a hurry, they are easier to reach and I can physically see the things I have to choose from. I purchased the jewelry stands from random places such as The Container Store and TJ Maxx. Here is a link to the tiered jewelry organizer here.
I purchased the wall mounts that hang my necklaces from Ikea. Here is a similar mount.
I have more of my accessories (earrings, broaches etc) stored in drawers in my bedroom. I can post pictures of those later.
2) Shoes. How annoying is it to open a million boxes to figure out what shoe is which? The shoes that I wear the most, I chose to store on racks purchased from The Container Store. The link is here http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10022383&N=&Nao=20&Ntt=shoe
I purchased about four or five of the racks and stacked them. Because I am limited with closet space, the other shoes and boots I have are stored in boxes and will switch them out once the weather changes.
3) Mirror, Rug, and Pictures. As you may know, mirrors open an area up. I paid about $5 for the mirror from Target. The pictures add just a small touch of personality. The rug I found at TJ Maxx for around $30.
4) Handbags. I’m still a little torn with this. My everyday bags are stored on the 2nd and 3rd shelves of the bookshelf. The more expensive bags are in their own boxes and/or dust bags and stored on a shelf in my closet. Maybe one day I will be able to display them all behind glass doors. Wishing on a star.
5) Hangers. NO.WIRE.HANGERS. I’m just as guilty because I have plastic ones. L I started the process of buying wooden hangers. I purchased about 100 or so but I don’t just have the time or energy right now to purchase more and switch them all out. One day. One day.
I hope this helps a little bit. I plan to do some other things to the closet like add a chandelier, paint the walls, purchase an actual storage system (ie Elfa), and purchase the remaining wooden hangers. If I don’t buy a bigger house in the near future, I may decide to tear down the wall that separates my closet and office and create a large closet/office space.
YouTube and Elle Décor have given me a wealth of ideas.
Until next time dolls!